The Summer Fabrics To Wear (And Avoid!)
Know How To Stay Office “Cool”
The goal is to help you make clothing choices that will prevent those embarrassing sweat stains! We begin to look at the best summer fabrics, the worst, and lastly the “in-between” sneaky devils that could be cautiously worn during the summertime.
Best Summer Fabrics
Ever wonder why designers release so many cotton-based summer dresses, blouses, pants, ect.? Being a natural fiber, cotton lets air circulate (breathable), allowing you to cool down, and dry out moisture. *Tip: Opt for lighter colors rather than darker colors to avoid underarm marks.
Like cotton, linen is another natural temperature-regulating fiber; letting air to circulate, absorb moisture and dry. A great advantage linen offers is that it doesn’t stick to your body, allowing for even better circulation, and sometimes dries faster than cotton.
Chiffon is a weave fabric usually made from a mix of cotton, silk, and/or synthetic fibers. The sheerness of chiffon makes it very breathable and less likely to trap heat than many other fabrics – breathe in, breathe out!
Jersey is a knit fabric consisting of a mix of cotton, wool, and/or other natural and synthetic fibers. Overall, jersey knit has a distinct stretch. The more natural fibers a jersey knit fabric contains, the better (this is due to having more breathable properties). Jersey knit is also ultra-light.
Worst Summer Fabrics
Any season but summer! Polyester is water resistant and does not absorb moisture – in other words, this means you can become trapped in your own sweat bubble.
This synthetic material simply traps heat and sweat, and repels water (like polyester, above). Unfortunately nylon also holds on to odour – careful!
Acrylic fabric is man-made and can almost have the appearance of wool, however unlike wool (which is breathable), acrylic has properties similar to nylon and polyester where it traps heat and does not absorb moisture. This is because acrylic threads contain plastic.
The Sneaky “In-Between” Fabrics
Both rayon and viscose are man-made fabric blended from cotton, wood pulp, and other natural and/or synthetic fibers – although the small difference is that rayon uses cellulose, and viscose does not. Viscose is also known as a type of rayon.
The great thing about these fabrics is that they are ultra-light, but they do not absorb water well – causing sweat patches. It’s best to wear these fabrics during the cooler days of summer – or as long as you “keep your cool”.
The difference between silk and satin is that silk is a natural fiber made from silkworms, while satin is a man-made fabric weave usually formed with a mix of silk, polyester, and nylon (and other fabrics).
In this case, in order for silk and satin to be more wearable in the summer, the fabrics need to be loosely woven and light-weight vs. tightly woven and on the heavier side. Tightly woven silk or satin clothes will retain heat and moisture, but the loosely woven kind is light and airy. Just like rayon/viscose, it’s best to wear these fabrics during the cooler summer days – or again, if you can “keep your cool”.
The Latest Posts Everyone’s Reading
- TREND ALERT: Fall/Winter 2020-2021 – Skip The Plain Black Pants Or Jeans And Opt For Designer Print Pants
- This Article May Be Your Game Changer – 5 Telltale Signs You May Be Suffering From Imposter Syndrome
- Quarantine In M.M LaFleur’s Fall 2020 “Power-Casual” Line & Discover The Fashion Brand’s Political Program For Voters & Women In Politics
- Super Stylish [And Not Boring] Fall/Winter 2020-2021 Pencil Skirt Styles For You To Try Out
- Promo List – Don’t Pay Full Price – HUGE Women’s Designer Fashion & Beauty
- Skirt Suits: The Professional Attire That Became A Fall/Winter 2020-2021 Runway Trend – How To Style & Where To Buy A Skirt Suit
- Show Your Laptop Some Lovin’! Are Laptop Sleeves Worth It? Where To Buy Your Laptop Sleeves
- This List Will Help You Find Hundreds Of Women’s Business Associations To Connect With
- The Quick Mental Hacks You Should Learn To Eliminate Negative Self-Talk And Self-Sabotage
- Stylin’ For A Cause – 7 Cutest Face Masks On Amazon Right Now
- See Top Trending Fall/Winter 2020-2021 Fashion Colors To Revamp Any Outfit
- 17 Amazing Fall 2020 Fashion Trends You Can Wear To The Office – Invest In The Right Pieces
- Know Before You Buy – Is A Smartwatch Right For You? Smartwatch Vs. Traditional Watch
- Update Your Office Wardrobe With These Top Summer 2020 Fashion Trends
- You Can Bring A Dull Outfit To Life With These Top Trending Spring/Summer 2020 Fashion Week Colors
- Important Things You Need To Look For In A Tote Bag – Before You Buy And As A Commuter
- What Counts As Business Casual? Your Guide To Women’s Professional Business Dress Codes
- Know Which Summer Fabrics To Wear (And Avoid!) To Stay Office “Cool”
- 7 Valuable DON’TS When You’re Working From Home (Whether You Work From Home Regularly Or Because Of The Pandemic)